I made an attempt at the look after wanting the Sally Hansen ones that you just stick on, but couldn't justify spending ten dollars on a package. So with nail polishes I already had, I made my own leopard nails. Here's how:
1. Painted my nails with Ulta's Set the Nude Nail Lacquer. No top coat.
2. Make small irregular circles/dots with black nail polish tool. I used Milani's black polish that's specifically made for nail designs. You can get it at CVS.
3. After that dried a little bit, I went back and added white dots in the circles for some dimension. I used a similar polish to the Milani one that I bought from Icing.
4. Let everything dry. Otherwise you will smear the polish which I did. It doesn't necessarily look terrible because it almost adds a fuzzy/furry effect, but it's an unreliable technique to attempt each time.
5. Then top coat to seal the design in.